With only $1.25 you can purchase these important items and share them with people who need a little support.
- 1 bus fare
- 1 bottle of water
- 1 box of tissues
- 1 granola bar
- 1 sample of mosquito repellent
- 2 bars of soap
- 1 pair of socks
- 1 toothbrush and mini toothpaste
- 2 apples
- 1 sack lunch
What can you do to help?
Here’s a short list of the do’s and don’ts for offering assistance.
- Give money to people who are begging on the street. You do not know how the money will be used and you are actually helping them stay on the streets and avoid seeking a positive path out of homelessness.
- Avoid eye contact or treat people who are standing on street corners like they are invisible. Instead, offer a smile, return a wave or speak a gentle word of encouragement.
- Offer rides or invite strangers into your car. If someone is injured and needs immediate assistance, call 911.
- Drive too close or too fast when passing people who are standing on street corners.
- Assume others will handle Houston’s homeless problems. This is a community issue and must be addressed by our entire community of caring citizens.
- Hand out printed resource cards, so people in need can learn about SEARCH Homeless Services. Some volunteers keep a small supply in their car.
- Offer a smile or a gentle word of encouragement. Treat people with dignity and respect. Much of their self-worth has been ripped away by circumstances we cannot imagine.
- Carry bottled water in small cooler in your car, especially in the summer, to offer to people who are asking for hand-outs. Houston heat can be, and often is deadly for people who are homeless.
- Volunteer at SEARCH or a homeless shelter. Help is always needed. During economic downturns, people who never imagined themselves homeless are in need of help.
- Make a monetary donation to SEARCH and support our mission of providing hope, creating opportunity and transforming the lives of Houston’s homeless families, women and men. 87% of all monetary donations to SEARCH goes directly to programs to help our clients.
- Donate non-perishable food items at your local grocery store or directly to SEARCH or hold a food drive at your congregation, school or place of work.